Tuesday, August 10, 2010

need advice on how to help my husband deal with PTSD and manic depression with blackouts and moodswings!?




We have undergone a huge amount of stress this year a long with owning a business, having a baby, losing a job, almost eviction, utilities being shut off, vehicles breaking down, vehicle repo, as well as dealing with anxiety disorter,PTSD, and manic depression. My husband is an awesome guy and only the last 3 years has he started having bad moodswings 2 have turn out violent where I have been left with a black eye and bruises. He had a lot of abuse from his sister beating him as a child and we think that could be the cause. We have no money to get counseling, but he wants to get help now! He is having a hard time dealing with the fact he hit me, and i am concerned for him. He comes from a family that never faught around him a day in his life. He never heard his parents or family argue once. The only problem was his sister. 1 week ago he blacked out, yes we were both drinking, and he thought I got on top of him and started hitting him which I didn't, and he got very violent and I had to run out of my house. The next morning he did not even remember or know what he did untill someone told him, he just thought I left him for no reason. He said he never wants to drink ever again and hasn't, wants to get counseling and see if he needs medication as well. I want to stand by him and support him but a little afraid he might do it again but worse. On the otherhand he is ill and needs help and I do not want to turn away from that. He has never showed any violent behavior towards his son what so ever. He is the best Dad in the world,and loves me with all of his heart, he wants to leave me because he is afraid this might happen again even after treatment. Please help, what do I do, should I stick around if he really gets the help he needs, or should I leave him anyway? need advice on how to help my husband deal with PTSD and manic depression with blackouts and moodswings!?
1.always take medication specially when feeling good [thats the reason your feeling good] . 2 totally avoid alcohol [this will only bring on or deepen depression.3 keep him busy with meaningful work [its about focusing on being positive instead of negative thoughts].3 always let him know hes loved and point out all the good aspects of his life,give support and use any help groups available. and finallygive yourself some time to to recuperate from your efforts.good luck ,things will get better. need advice on how to help my husband deal with PTSD and manic depression with blackouts and moodswings!?
Its not a good situation no partner should EVER hit their wife





he needs to sort himself out alone, you cant do it for him, dosent matter if he is the best dad he is not being the best husband to you my dear, you deserve better.





if you still love him he needs help, surely there is free help im no expert but has he been to his doctor who can refer him on the NHS, ive had counselling via NHS before and ive not had to pay.





good luck - you've got to think of your own safety and your kids
Wow, this is a difficult one. On one hand I absolutely do not tolerate domestic violence, especially when there are children in the house (they hear everything!!!) but on the other this man needs help and you're probably the only one that can help him. Definately a trip to the GP is needed immediately, they can prescribe some medication and refer him / both of you for counselling. Assuming you're in the UK, there are counsellors available on the NHS if cost is a problem. I would also ask the GP about any support groups which are available. It'll be good for the both of you. Perhaps if you don't feel safe with hime then you could move out temporarily until the dust settles a bit.





I'm sorry I couldn't be any more help but wish you both the best of luck xXx
I also suffer from PTSD, medications work wonders on it and I have it under control. However, I was never violent towards anybody. This is a very hard question, on the one hand, I know what PTSD feels like, but on the other hand I have seen enough movies, reality shows, like cops etc. And in general, men who hit women very raely change. I cant make the decision for you, but if you are, like you said scared he will do it again, maybe worse, you should think of yourself and leave. If when you are gone he gets treatment and proves himself to you, you can always get back together.


Good luck
i think you need to protect yourself and think about yourself. if he's having violent outburst, causing black eyes, then you're not safe w/ him. there is NO excuse for abuse





i would STRONGLY recommend separated while HE gets help by any means necessary.





you have to protect yourself as well as your children, if you have children.





he is using EXCUSES. many many many and more than many people have been abuse during childhood and they do NOT abuse others. you cant be the best DAD if you're hitting mommy. it's IMPOSSIBLE. he's showing your kids how to act.





good luck. i hope you take my advice





in the mean time, get education about domestic violence. here is the nationally hotline





800-799-SAFE (7233)





ps. a lot of counseling is offered FREE (for you) at domestic violent agencies. please call

No comments:

Post a Comment