Friday, August 20, 2010

How should I deal with husband who doesn’t change diapers?

I am 25 and my husband is 34. He works and I stay at home with our two children because he makes plenty of money. I love him but he can be sort of an “old fashion” sort of guy, which is usually fine. However, he simply refuses to change diapers even when he has not put in a long day. It normally doesn’t bother me, but there are times I can’t do it and he just lets it go. He is a huge history buff and when I asked him to do it, he starts giving me a history lesson on the role of men and women in cultures and basically says this sort of thing is women’s work and he will never be some 21st century wimp. It is not like he is afraid of the mess. He has no problem gutting deer and doing any number of dirty jobs. I find it hard to debate him because he is an attorney and I end up feeling stupid. What can I do? I love him and our marriage is solid, but I just would like some help from him.How should I deal with husband who doesn’t change diapers?
If I were you, I would find other ways for him to help. My husband was OK with the diaper thing, but his brother just would hardly ever change a diaper (and they had 4 kids). He would go to great lengths to avoid it. We all have things we really hate to do. Respect that this is one of them for your husband. Find other ways for him to help. I'm sure there are things that he does that you never do (for me it would be any car repairs). Consider diaper changing a thing he won't do. Either that - or you could keep pushing it and creating friction. The diaper days will eventually end, your marriage and the peace at home can last a lifetime.How should I deal with husband who doesn’t change diapers?
Obviously you knew that your husband had these views before you married him. You wouldn't have married him without discussing roles in the marriage, finances, family, etc.





Right?





You're stuck with him.
i would not complain some women would kill to be stay at home moms


if he's the only one working than i feel it is your job, it would be diffrent if you both worked fulltime jobs and had children . good luck with that
It's a ';bottom-line'; for him.


I suggest you not press it.





This also means once the child is of age you are essential done raising him and he takes over, especially if they are boys.
Some guys are like that. You have to be patient with such people and wait for an opportunity to make them understand. Al this because you you say you love him.
If you love him, change the diapers yourself and don't worry about it.
Force him, its his child. Hes an attorney, well Tell him to stop being a sexist. Its his child and he has to help.
God it's hard to argue with attorneys!!! BAH! How frustrating. No valid argument will get you in...I suggest fighting fire with fire. If he's so into the ';roles'; then I suggest you save sexual relations for procreation...I mean ';after all honey, just like you said, the roles where clearly defined pre turn of the century, sexual intercourse is reserved only for procreation!'; I also suggest buffing up on your history. Google family roles pre 1800s and that way when he brings up that load of crap, you can fling some right back.
Just ask him if it is okay to put a child's health at risk by not changing a diaper. This can affect the health of a child, and he should know that would be considered child neglect. Tell him you don't live in the past but in the present, You also tell him that he isn't being a 21st century wimp, but an inconsiderate parent and husband. Because he brings in the money doesn't mean his responsibility stops there. You show love in many different ways, and he really doesn't do what is best for his children.

No comments:

Post a Comment