Friday, August 20, 2010

How do you deal when your husband is going through a midlife crisis?

I'v only been married 2 years but my husband is already starting to go through what I think is a mid life crisis! He's talking about wanting to move out of the city we've lived in for 20 years, and wanting to quit his job and take his bike down to South America or Europe and go on a cycling tour for 6 months. We're just on the verge of selling our smaller house and buying a bigger house. Also we've been trying to have babies for 2 years and all we've had are 3 miscarriages and doctors are saying that I am probably infertile, so we're also dealing with this. How should I deal with his midlife crisis? Should I be threatened by it? Is my only option to sit and wait and see what he does in the next few months? How can I keep him happy when he's not satisfied with his life as it is right now? (He still really loves me though, but lately he is more critical of me than he normally is)How do you deal when your husband is going through a midlife crisis?
It is easy to love someone during the good times. Hard spots in life challenge us to find and keep the love alive.


Focus on the good things. Try to listen with the heart and don't be unwilling to listen to some of the options that he has. REsearch and read up on the topic. I bet there are many others who have been there and have some good advise on how to deal with this.


Sounds like it is just a challenge that needs to be worked out through effective communication and understanding....a phase that will go away soon enough.How do you deal when your husband is going through a midlife crisis?
More like a defense mechanism to me. He is frustrated about the kid thing and do not know how to deal with the stress and pain. If he wants to take a tour, I would suggest you tell him you will go with him on a much shorter American based bike tour. If you can get it to happen, maybe along the way you can talk about pregnancy options. Heck if they can give a 60+ year old grandmother another child I am sure you are not hopeless. I heard they can somehow take the eggs(or egg stem cells)of a fertile woman and transplant them into a woman who can't and somehow she can conceive. You say miscarriage, that means you did get pregnant, your body just has a problem keeping it in the oven until done. I also seen on TV where a woman had a similar problem as you and they sowed her uterus shut, but she had to stay in bed the whole pregnancy. I say help your hubby work through it, and maybe steer it in a direction you can make peace with.
To be honest I know how long and emotional the adoption process can be, You should try getting a puppy. Honestly puppies are great and they don't talk back its great!!As for your husband and his crisis...just sit down and talk with him communication is the key to relationships and if you sit down with him and express your concern he might buckle down and realize that he is not going to Europe to ride bikes. But also start doing new things...like for instance my husband came home the other night with tennis rackets...we have never played tennis and we are having a blast just messing around. Try new things... it makes you feel like you were when you were just dating.
The only thing I can say is be supportive. Ask him if he needs to seek counseling for anything. I know how hard battling infertility can be, I'm going thru the same thing right now. jsut try to be there for him the best u can.

No comments:

Post a Comment