Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How can I help my husband deal with the death of his grandfather?

My husband's grandfather is dying of cancer. He is on hospice care and has chosen to die at home. Death is eminent. The entire family, with the exception of my husband, has gone to see him and pay their last respects or say a final ';I love you';. I was off of work yesterday and I spent most of my day with him--helping his wife care for him. Even after I told my hubby that the hospice nurse told us he may have 1-2 weeks to live my husband still refuses to set a firm time and day to go see him. I think he is afraid of the reality that will hit him when he sees his once strong and jovial grandfather looking frail and helpless in a hospital bed. I know that it will be the biggest regret of my husband's life if he doesn't see him before he dies. I know he loves this man so much. He was more like a father to my husband than a grandfather. Any advice on how to convince him to go see him in his dying days??How can I help my husband deal with the death of his grandfather?
you can't. he is dealing with it as he sees fit. its not an easy decision.How can I help my husband deal with the death of his grandfather?
Everyone deals with death differently. He has his way and you have yours, don't force people to grieve or live the way you do or they might be scarred for life or end up hating you. When my dad was dying, I didn't want to see him dying or in the coffin. To each his own is what you must remember. Im sorry if I sounded mean, It is just that I am very passionate about this. Have a wonderful day.
Your husband will need to deal with it in his own way on his time frame, but you might mention to him that it would be important to his grandfather if he came to see him and say goodbye.
He needs to go with him and tell him what he feels about him.


You can tell him this. That his granfather needs him, that if he really loves him, he has to be with him, cause he really longs to be with him.


Tell him to ask God to give him strenght, tell him to put on his own shoes, does he would like to his grandson with him? To be with him the last days of his life? With whom he shared great part of his life?





Hope helped


And hope God can show everybody why this happens, it has a purpose.





God bless you
you will have to be gentle with him. and try to make him understand that if he don't go and see him he will regret it the rest of his life. after he is gone it will be too late to say what he should have done. if he had went and took part in the caring for his grandfather it would not have been so bad. but if you can encourage him to go and see him and talk with him because if he is in a hospice situation the doctors have given up on him and can't do anything else. he needs to go and go soon. my husband was the same way, but i took care of him and when it got to the place where he stopped talking i didn't feel so bad because i had been with him all the time. and when the day came i was hurt but i was glad to see that he wasn't going to suffer anymore. cancer is a horrible disease i wish they could find a cure for it. some they can and some they can't. but talk to him and help him as best you can to go and see his grandfather before it is too late. God bless you and help your husband.
Leave him to what he wants to do.


He may feel he cannot deal with this at this time.


My father in law was terminally ill and some of the family couldn't go see him.


Was their way of dealing with it.


To ignore the situation.


You can't push people.


What's right for you, and lets be honest , you would be more detached, might not necessarily be the best route for him.


He will go see him when he is ready.


Even if he doesn't , you need to understand he couldn't cope with what was happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment