Monday, August 16, 2010

How to deal with husband in navy boot camp?

the waiting...How to deal with husband in navy boot camp?
I was going to say (In a nice way of course :-) )';Get used to it'; Because he is going to be gone a lot more than just boot camp throughout the rest of his navy career.





But then again... It is really REALLY tough the first time! Try writing him letters, I'm pretty sure that he can read letters, and it will help you to feel better AND him. Sometimes just the writing or typing out what you would say to him helps you feel closer.


Other than that, Keep busy!!





Just hope he doesn't get stuck on a sub or something like that when he gets out, because it will just be more of the same.


I am one of the lucky few though. My hubby was only on a ship for one month (Contact was AWFUL! Only in tiny emails. I feel bad for couples who have to deal with that for longer!)


And during his ONLY 6 month deployment overseas they put him in a nice hotel with wi-fi so we could talk on Skype daily and even see each other via webcam.





So... Here's hoping that you guys are amongst the lucky!


But for now, and during any other hard times while he was gone.. Just remember to keep busy :-)





The time will fly by before you know it!How to deal with husband in navy boot camp?
Take it one day at a time. Do not think about how long it has been since you have seen him or how much longer you have until he is home. More than likely it will just make you depressed if you think like that. At least, it depresses me.





Write him lots and lots of letters. Encourage him because he really needs it. When my husband was in Marine boot, I wrote him 138 letters in the 13 weeks he was there because it was the only thing I could think of to do.





Try to find things that you can occupy yourself with. Read. Paint. Write. Go for walks, just anything to put your attention and focus into so you do not have to think about it so much. Stay busy. My husband is on his first deployment now and has been gone since March. We are expecting our first child and I had to quit my job because of my lifting restrictions and I was so sick, so I haven't had that to keep me busy. It was really hard at first, but since I am farther along, I am now preparing our baby's room. My husband will be home for leave in 2 weeks before he goes overseas so he will not see our first child be born.





Some good websites are to help are:





military.com


militaryonesource.com


militaryspouse.com *my favorite*





I also recommend the books:





Chicken Soup for the Military Wives Soul


Married to the Military








Good luck. It never gets easier having your husband gone, and it never gets easier saying goodbye. Trusts me, this will make your relationship so much stronger.





I have no idea how hard this must be for you in the sense that you were together before his military life. My husband and myself got married at 18 right after high school, he left for boot, and is now on his first deployment. We have been married for a year this Wed and he will not be home. Our first year he has been home for four months. This is all I have known out of our married life. I am not sure if that makes sense, but it does in my head.





You will learn now that because he is in the military, you both will no longer take your time for granted and the time you have together will mean so much more and be so much sweeter. The military changes everything and will change your relationship.





Good luck.





If you need anyone to chat to, you can email me at tm_loves_cm@yahoo.com





Have a good day.
Keep yourself busy is the best advice. Get a job, go to school, volunteer your time, find a new hobby, etc.





Write letters often.
Realize that this is the first step in time apart because it will get worse. You need to stay busy, go through your stuff and get rid of it, stock up on things you like, go through your photos and make albums, make sure you have copies of your birth certificates and marriage certificates, get a passport if you don't have one, volunteer for things in the area, get a job.
lol..its only a few weeks...and he is in the Navy...its going to be 6 months at a time...if you are having problems now....Good luck!





knit, play solitare, Yahoo Answers, get a hobby
Write to him every day. This will do you both some good.





Network with his family. These are relationships that can last a lifetime. Visit his mother. Build friendships with his sisters. These are people who will be sharing your pain and situation.





Make videos to show him what happened while he was away. DO NOT send them to him in boot camp. Just save them and he can watch them when he gets home. Not talking dirty here, just day to day stuff.





Do not try to put him out of your mind and think of other things. If you do, the feelings you have for him may wither.





Be on guard and keep your marriage safe. No one wants to think about this, but you will be lonely. There are men who would take advantage of that. Keep relationships with males to a minimum. Don't say it can't happen. That's when it gets you.

No comments:

Post a Comment